Thursday, March 14, 2024

I missed the 20th US Human Proteomics Organization meeting!

 


I missed the 20TH MEETING OF THE US HUMAN PROTEOMICS ORGANIZATION thanks to my immune system being a slacker. The committee I chair, the US HUPO Virtual Media Outreach Committee (most of the group is above) sent me pictures like this. 

I just found this and I'm brazenly stealing it -- 


Is this the same meeting that we'd been trying to interview all the invited speakers for? Yes. Well...not  all of them, THE Proteomics Show has to fit into space around our jobs and families and things, but we got a bunch of them. 

The same meeting that the spent months working on so we could have a cool proteomics video competition? Yes. Same one. Super bummed to miss it. 

The winning video was a parody video called "The Real Scientists of Beverly Hills" and came from Cedar Sinai. The concept makes me laugh every time I think about it, even though I didn't see it. 

Because proteomics is now (FINALLY) a thing the outside world thinks about once in a while - legit news outlets sent legit reporters. Not joking. Here is a link! 


The 60 second lightening talks at US HUPO are, of course, legendary. Apparently there was some beatboxing. If you've never seen these rapid fire talks, you're missing out. Again - sooooo bummed I wasn't there. 

THE Proteomics Show still happened, just with a legitimate upgrade of one of the hosts! (Whoa. RASR lab website is seriously cool....) 


I have every intention of listening to this one (it will be the first one) when it goes live. Maybe today? 

Big shoutout to the award winners this year. I am ultra bummed to have missed 


Kelleher's Don Hunt award! 


Parag's Computational Award winning talk! 


Jenny van Eyk's always inspirational talks on why we NEED PROTEOMICS IN THE CLINIC. YESTERDAY. 


And the Cotter Early Investigator Award winning talk by Ying Zhu

I like good award winning talks as much as anyone, but posters are my favorite part of any conference. That's where you get to meet the smart young people who are actually in the trenches running the instruments and pushing the limits of what we can do with any proteomics technology. CRITICALLY ULTRA BUMMED. Next time.

If you haven't heard - US HUPO 2025 is PHILADELPHIA!!

Also - have you ever been to a conference that was really disorganized? Like you can't figure out where things are going on at each point in time or stuff starts too early or too late? You know why this doesn't happen at this one? US HUPO has 


From left to right (ignore Pratik, Lydia, Jennifer and Brianna, ignore Ben) from Conference Solutions. And they make all the things work! 

No comments:

Post a Comment