Friday, August 18, 2023

NanoDESI on a TIMSTOF - did this just lowkey show the future of spatial proteomics?


Okay, so you might think when flipping through this something like "big deal, some mass spectrometrists in the midwest stuck a klugey looking DESI source on the front of a different mass spec. Mass spectrometrists do all sorts of weird things"



And I'd agree. Until I got to Supplemental S5. 

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Right? If it is what I think it is? 

You know what you can NOT do right now on an imaging TIMSTOF? You can't use that PASEF thing. You know...the thing that accelerates the instrument by up to 300x and increases the sensitivity by 100-ish fold? It don't work.

Don't get me wrong, this study is super cool. They get a resolution of 300 IMS and some sick lipid imaging across the board, but I think it lowkey showed that you could have your imaging resolution AND ridiculous ion mobility AND modern mass spectrometry on the back end. 

Of course, I might be dumb and they just targeted those lipids. OR this just sneakily showed what the future of spatial proteomics might be just around the corner. 



No comments:

Post a Comment