Thursday, August 3, 2023

Confirmatory results! 0.1% formic acid IS a stupid buffer, particularly for single cells!


A few months ago, Battellino et al., dropped this bombshell little paper on the proteomics world that made me get up and start questioning everything. Their title was long but I called it "is using formic acid in your buffers stupid?" and that sort of summed it up. 

Caution! Disclaimers! Check with the persons who service and/or designed your HPLCs first! The dude who services this HPLC okayed me swapping in 0.5% acetic acid in my buffers on this EasyNLC 1200. Disclaimer, I don't know if he made it up and I won't give you his name and if your EasyNLC 1200 melts into a pile of garbage somehow worse than it already is, that's on you. Disclaimers over there somewhere --> all apply.  --> 

That being said -- that picture at the top of the page are actual ugly as heck TICs from running a single cell (SW620, I think) then having Ahmed swap the 0.1% buffers for 0.5% acetic acd in, running a system purge and both equilibrations and then injecting the next cell. No change to the instrument method, calibration, not anything else -- and boom! A whole lot more signal! 

Files are up on MASSIVE, 100 or so files ran in SpectroNaut are summarized in the Supplemental Data and some ridiculously high numbers are summarized in this preprint

No comments:

Post a Comment