Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Doing MALDI imaging proteomics of cells? Cytospin for the win!

 

This typically isn't the right place to talk about it, but we do have a TIMSTOF Flex in my lab that does a lot of imaging. Well...slow summer, but it'll be doing a crapload of imaging in the fall. I don't talk about it here because it's sorta lousy at proteomics. 

Not as lousy as turd sandwich worrisome  Science article seems to think (https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abq4964) but - they're Science Magazine. They don't have time to read anything in spatial proteomics that has happened in the last 5 years. I'm worried now about anything I read in this magazine that I don't have first hand knowledge of. I sort of assume when I open one of these magazines that they did their homework before they printed it. 

What I was talking about was this new study that goes through different prep methods for doing spatial mass spectrometry on myeloma cells. It is interesting how molecule specific it is, but if you want to image peptides, it looks like you need to go down to pathology or hemotology and borrow a cytospin for a minute or 10.



No comments:

Post a Comment