Saturday, September 9, 2017

Re-annotating (is "fixing" too strong of a word?) genomes with proteomics!


I live in "Genome Alley" -- the sequencer is king here -- maybe it always will be.

I LOVE to see a paper where someone goes through and repairs incorrect genome sequences with proteomics data. It's not just that I'm petty -- it's that -- well...it's important to me to point out the FDR of these sequencing instruments. Sure -- they're amazing -- but they don't always get it right. And when you look at disagreements between the mass spec and the sequencer we're generally (if not always) right.

I like this new methods chapter because it makes genome reannotation seem a lot less daunting than some of these big papers and is specifically focused on prokaryotes!

No comments:

Post a Comment