Wednesday, September 20, 2017

APOSTL -- A staggering number of Galaxy AP-MS tools in a user friendly interface!


Thanks to whoever sent me the link to this paper! That doesn't mean that I'll write about it, btw. However, if the paper leads me to an easy user interface that allows me to use a bunch of tools I've heard about, but all require Perlython or Gava or Lunyx or whatever to use otherwise, there's a pretty good shot!

This is the paper that describes this awesome new tool! 


As far as I can tell, bioinformaticians fall into a couple of different branches. You've got the hardcore computational camps that are writing all their stuff in Python, PERL or whatever. And you've got your more data science people who seem to be using either R or Galaxy. From my perspective all the awesome tools have one common denominator when I give them a shot...


Okay...maybe 2 common denominators...


....joking of course! But it isn't uncommon for these shells or studios to require some extremely minor alteration or library installation that is a challenge for me to do. And honestly, as cool as all the stuff in Galaxy looks -- I don't even know where to start with that one.

And here is where we click on the link to the APOSTL SERVER where all the Galaxy tools for Affiniity purification/enrichment MS experiments are all located in a form where we all can use them!

APOSTL has a flexible input format. Workflows are already established for MaxQuant and PeptideShaker but it looks like you'd just need to match formatting to bring in data from anything else.


I don't have any AP-MS data on my desktop right now (and it sounds like it's still working on a big queue anyway) but I have some stuff that needs to go into this later. I'll let you know how it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment