Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Constant levels of KPR4 (at least in Arabidopsis) maintains cellular size!

 


I spend a lot of time these days thinking about how large human cells are and what their relative protein contents are. A great reference, of course, is the original Proteomics Ruler paper

I'll be honest, it never occurred to me to ask questions like.why is a human cheek cell 10x wider than a human red blood cell? This group did

Even if you hate arabidopsis, I recommend just looking at the pretty pictures in this study. They find a really interesting system where a protein called KPR4 maintains a constant concentration from a cell before and after it divides. It does this by some relationship with histones that I don't fully understand. Being arabidopsis poeple, they of course mess with this gene and can back up their hypotheses! 


No comments:

Post a Comment