Thursday, May 18, 2023

m.2 SSDs can double HTRMS data conversion rates vs eSATA SSDs!

 

(Image above stolen from this article intended for people who edit video) 

I recently had a tirade about making these new fangled DIA data processing software runs faster. It was focused on SpectroNaut, but I think it will carry over to other tools equally. 

Honestly, it was a desperation thing for me because we were bottlenecked like crazy at the data processing things and -- things don't seem nearly as desperate now.

These numbers this morning are the most striking to me. 

The first thing SpectroNaut does is convert your whatever it is data type to the HTRMS data that it likes. 

Check out how long it takes to convert 55,000 diaPASEF MS2 spectra from one file on a Samsung Pro SATA SSD drive


VS comparable sized files on the Samsung Pro M2 (plugged directly into the motherboard) drive!


The HTRMS converter doesn't keep the processing time information forever in the GUI, so I had to just pull the last file I ran off of the SATA SSD and the next files which I ran exclusively on the M.2 drive.

When you've got multiple grant proposals due first week of June and your front office wants them turned in Wednesday, saving 3 minutes each on 90-ish files on just the very first step of your processing pipeline can seem like a dogsend. 


1 comment:

  1. The incredible development speed for SSD drives has easily made the most difference in my computers over the last decade, including going from SATA to M2. Glad to see it translates to data processing as well!

    ReplyDelete