Monday, February 20, 2023

You asked for it! Install and run Proteome Discoverer on a Mac!

What's that pointing at? Weird symbol. 


I'll have some better feel of performance, etc., using what has, so far, been a really impressive experience on the ARM 12 physical core chip in a few days, I think. I had 708 hours of zoom calls yesterday and I never plugged my laptop in. 

While I have some misgivings in a "this is probably the worst of all possible combinations" sort of way but people ask about this every once in a while. 

The best I can tell, everything in PD 3.0SP1 seems to be working fine right now. Fingers crossed. Ultimately, I don't have any intention of running PD on my MacBook, we've got a huge CPU big RAM monster PC for that. I want to have the viewer so I can filter my results and look at them on this. 

There are free ways to do this, if you aren't lazy. Or you can use one of two paid programs that easily make a virtualized Windows environment on your Mac. I went with Parallels for $120/year. I did that because it automatically installs Windows and sets it all up for you in a nice enclosed virtual machine.  A quick Google search will find it. If you have an Intel based Mac, then there are probably 20 options like this. The new ARM chips are a little more exclusive at this point.

Then I successfully remembered my ThermoFlexNet password after 13,211 tries and promptly forgot what it was. You can download PD 3.0SP1 and the Third party nodes for the same there. Just go to the search bar and type "Discoverer 3.0" leave out the 3.0 and you'll have 11 pages of Discoverers to look through. 

You can get Parallels for less, but that limits the number of cores and memory that you can allocate to the virtual machine. If you don't care, save that $20 a year!

No comments:

Post a Comment