Friday, October 2, 2026

dNoise TIMSTOF spectra for faster processing and storage!


 Okay...so...like many people, I generally don't care that about the IMS part of the TIMSTOF thing very often. We generally use it like a Trapping TOF. And the Ion Mobility Something(?) is occasionally useful if some reviewer is like "I don't believe that peptide is there". You can go back with a kind of noisy MS1 and MS/MS spectrum or 3 but then you can also show them that some tool also predicted the ion mobilities to line up. This is rare. I generally just need a fast and sensitive instrument.

But....it is an IMS as well. And in this paper, the -now - Dr. Patrick Garrett and et al., said "wait a minute, peptides and their isotopes seem to make a very normal pattern in the ion mobility space. What if we just kept those?" 

You can find the preprint here. 


Ultimately, what you find is that, wait. Can I just copy and paste this summary image from Biorxiv? 



Heck yeah I can! Generally I have to screenshot and then import the screenshot from my desktop, which is currently just 4,000,000 screenshots. 

Do you lose some IDs? Yes, in this iteration it looks like you lose a few. But....can you now process those 500 x 4GB .d files? It sure is a lot more likely of completing before I retire! All the code is up on Github and the files come out compatible with all the downstream stuff, just smaller (of course the originals are maintained) 

No comments:

Post a Comment