Imagine that you're trying to climb Everest and your goal is to have mice carry all your stuff. Maybe you can't afford a human to carry the stuff? Maybe you're just really mean to animals.
Everything is going great, until about 1/3 of the way up you discover that these mice are getting really lazy. Do you have an oxygen tank for a mouse? NO? I think you're just doing this because you don't like animals.
Okay, but I wouldn't type all of this because I don't have a solution, right? What if it's a solution you can get at a gas station?!? Check this out.
Nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN) and sugar! To prove that this made the mice better at carrying stuff, they chopped a bunch of them up and then did a bunch of multiomics on the resulting tissue.
Metabolomics and lipidomics were performed on an Exploris 120 and the Proteomics of just the tendons and ligaments were performed on an Orbitrap Eclipse.
Something interesting is that they used a specific kit for extracting proteins from the ligaments and tendons. I don't know if it's any good, but it is interesting to me that such a thing (and a company I've never heard of) exists. You can find it here.
The end findings are extended to humans as the mechanism and how to reduce hypobaric hypoxia in us as well. Given the ENORMOUS differences in how humans and mice respond to these conditions...
(for real, mice drop their body temperatures at high elevations, on purpose. Humans generally never change their body temperatures.... human do a funny thing with a word I can't remember where we jack our body pressure way up to compensate for extremely high altitudes, which is part of the reason we need time to compensate and recover at high altitudes. Here's a good link to a whole lot of reasons we have to be cautious interpreting rodent and humans in these kinds of experiments)
... this could be a stretch, but I like a good over the counter solution to problems, so if anyone ever talks me into running a race in Colorado again I'll try pumping myself more of more NMN and sugar than I normally do just to find out, I guess.

No comments:
Post a Comment