Friday, August 9, 2024

Stellar requires a lot less power - largely due to smarter vacuum pumps!

 


At ASMS 2024 Thermo released the Stellar MS. You can read about it here. It's an ultra fast ion trap system that can provide nominal mass (say +/- 0.5 Da, normally? something like that?) in what sounds like an affordable package.

One thing that I think hasn't got much notice is that it uses a whole lot less power than you'd expect. I don't have a full specification sheet, I was told it would be online soon, but it looks like the vacuum pump has a lot to do with it.

I went down a rabbit hole for a project I'm working on and it makes me wonder why everyone hasn't switched to more modern roughing pump/forepump designs. 

Every mass spec I've ever used as been an oil filled rotary vane pump, I'm pretty sure. I expect those to require around 700-1000W on their own.

Apparently dry scroll pumps have become a lot less expensive recently and the reason for switching is pretty clear --



260W? That's a lot less than 700W!  

The SogeVac SV65 I see a lot is capable of 0.5 mBAR at 700W. The little Edwards can beat that at 0.2 mBAR with 260W power draw. Now, I know how much power you use doesn't matter to most mass spectrometrists, but for startups cutting your power usage in half or to a third can be a big deal. I do know people who really do care about the $1000/month in power a couple of mass specs need while their trying to eek out a living existing in cost margins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment