Saturday, January 27, 2024

Single cell proteomics - beyond cell status - the Broad makes a statement!

 


Woooo.......okay.....this data from the Broad (pronounced like "Toad," don't be that dude) is...wow....


You aren't supposed to look at the author list and think "oh shit. they're working together? this is gonna be good....." but that's exactly what I thought when I saw the first two names on this. 

You could argue this is the maybe the most expensive way possible to do single cell proteomics, but the last name on this preprint has the money buy an Exploris exclusively to keep his lunch warm and two years from now this'll be 3 generations of hardware behind, so who cares?  😇

Punchline? This features the new prep on the CellenOne system for label free prep -- that can be directly centrifuged into the EvoTips! Then you take that extremely low loss prep and run it on the ULTRA! They use the lovely IonOpticks columns and evaluate 20, 40 and 80SPD runs (which is, before controls, numbers of cells/day) running diaPASEF with the ULTRAshort cycle times (8 windows/cycle?) and reproducibly pull 4k proteins/cell.

Straight up, I've never personally gotten 4k proteins on a normal sized single cell. You dump some chemotherapy drugs in so they expand? Heck yeah I can do it then! 

The statement here, though, is in the title. They're getting enough depth that they can track actual perturbed pathways in one cell at a time. So we're getting beyond the whole x numbers of proteins. 

I've said and typed this a lot, but not that long ago my QA for 200 nanograms of peptide on a QE  running DDA was like 2,200 proteins in 60min. If I hit that number, the QE was ready for anything. 4k was a high water mark for me on a looooooong gradient. To reliably get that out of 0.1% of the starting material is absurd. Super impressive stuff that suggests maybe I should do something else with my time....

No comments:

Post a Comment