Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Its MASH Suite time!


Have I talked about this yet? I forget and don't care!

I have the deepest and most profound respect for Dr. Neil Kelleher. He's always looking 20 years ahead and his lab has produced some of the best mass spectrometrists I've ever had the pleasure to work with. And he's done this all by being disciplined and 100% serious at all times. You'll never catch him wasting a second doing anything ridiculous. That's his secret, I think.

But -- I'll be honest here -- I've never ever in years of working with it been able to figure out how to use ProSightPC. I have many friends who have figured it out and use it all the time.  It's amazingly powerful software. It is the industry standard by 100 miles, but I'm too dumb to get it.

And -- what else do you use for top down proteomics? The weird command line thing someone at NCBI wrote in 1981? I mean, that'll totally do stuff probably. Not for me. (I assume all command line things were originally written on a Commodore 64).

In what I think might be the first serious back up plan for those of us with various ProSightPC deficiencies -- you should 100% check out the free MASH Suite software!



What's it do? TOP DOWN PROTEOMICS!

How much does it cost? Nuthing!

Do you have to read a manual? I guess not! I sure didn't and its been deconvoluting and searching intact protein data for me for months.

For real, it might be a neurochemistry issue. Maybe my childhood fear of PUFfins has something to do with it (top down protein analysis jokes...) but I can make this software do stuff.

And check out all the options it has!


5 deconvoluters! And none of them are Xtract!! Xtract is awesome for one protein. Xtract is NOT AWESOME for cell lysates. If I'm firing up BioPharma Finder with Xtract, I do it before I go home for the night. Fingers crossed  -- it might be done in the morning!

At the very least this is a great new set of tools -- for free!  And they're surprisingly easy to use!

You can get them at the Ye lab website here.



Oh -- and v1.1 just came out this weekend. If you've got the older one, go to "Remove programs" and uninstall it. You'll want v1.1.

No comments:

Post a Comment