Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Capillary electrophoresis on an Orbitrap?

This week I've been up in Boston and I've spent some time in some top notch labs (there are a bunch up here, of course!)

A highlight of the trip is that I've finally got to see capillary electrophoresis on an Orbitrap.  I know its been around for a while, but I've never actually seen the two together.

The lab I visited was using CE to get baseline separation of proteins and protein complexes.  It is a pretty impressive jump from my normal intact protein experiments (5cm C4 or C8 columns that resolve only slightly better than direct infusion!) to see separation when the proteins differ by a single PTM.

If you're interested in this technology, I was just reading through this paper from 2011 where CE was equipped on an Orbitrap Velos and it does a great job of explaining this interface!


No comments:

Post a Comment