Sunday, May 28, 2017

The Manual of Cardiovascular Proteomics


My local library finally got this book in a few weeks ago!

I'm never going to read the whole book. Chapters like "a history of proteomics" and reviews on bottom up and top down proteomics aren't meant for me. They are written for cardiovascular researchers who are wondering what this proteomics thing can do for them.

What I have read is pertinent to these questions: Why would you want to do cardiovascular proteomics? (the intro and first chapter) and chapter 5 -- Vascular proteomics.

Let me start off with stealing this kind of shocking chart from chapter 1 (authors or Springer, please let me know if you want this image taken down (orsburn@vt.edu)


This is the number of studies that have been done in this field! Like all of proteomics -- more stuff all the time, but when you consider that a lot of cardiovascular diseases are environmentally driven -- not genetic or driven by mutations -- it is easy to wonder if this is nearly enough work in this field!

Chapter 5 is really interesting because I never thought to ask the question -- how would you even get cells from a blood vessel?!?!?  Is there enough material present to do subcellular fractionation? What a useful resource if you're sitting at your instrument, minding your own business, and someone emails you a request to do some vascular mitochondrial proteomics!

Whoa! I am ever glad that I skimmed further in the book!

This chapter from Arrell and Terzic at Mayo is useful for everyone! 

You can find this chapter here!  This is a really useful review of modern downtream analysis tools, many of which I'd never heard of before. Even better? It pretty much starts with a glossary of network analysis terms and really useful terms so that you're following the language and concepts they use in the review.

In all this book is a really nice resource. If you are thinking of putting together a graduate course in cardiovascular proteomics, I think I found your textbook!

No comments:

Post a Comment