Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Proteomics provides a way of assessing the health of fish!

(Photo borrowed from Hanover Koi Farms )

I like the advice in the image. But how do you tell if a fish is sick?!?  

I often can't tell if Miss Puff is alive or not unless I pet her and she opens her eyes. I've spent the majority of my life with dogs. 


Test: 

Eyes open? She's alive! 


(Vet says she's surprisingly healthy for a dog who has outlived several previous owners)


Okay -- so what about FISH!?!?  At first glance you'd assume they're dead, or at least drowning, since they aren't coming up for air all the time, right? 

And we also probably don't want to eat sick fish. And we don't want sick fish making other fish sick. 



How straight forward is that?

How ridiculously commercially valuable could that be?? Particularly as aquaculture continues to pick up the slack for our over-fished, heating, and plastic filled oceans!?!? 



No comments:

Post a Comment