Saturday, June 8, 2013

Bioconductor -- Open Source tools for Bioinformatics


I'm starting to wonder if I'm even noticing 10% of the software that is out there.  This field is blowing up like crazy!
My friend Patricia just tipped me off to this one.  A complete open source software package based on R that has tons of neat tools in it.  The sobering thing is that this project has been ongoing since 2001.  Yup, 2001.  Brand new to me.  Patricia's lab is using it to analyze Itraq data.  I'm going to just assume that this is a new feature, since the package was originally designed for genomics applications.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ben,
    which package are they using to analyze iTRAQ? I'm looking for an open source program to do it with my results... Thanks! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edu,
      Sorry for the delay. Your comment slipped by me somehow. Patricia is using Isobar.
      -Ben

      Delete
  2. Laurent,
    Thanks for the information! This is all really interesting. My schedule is a little full right now, but I'm going to make a note of this to contact you when I have more time.
    -Ben

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurent,
    I have informed about the R for Proteomics to the Bioinformatics group at our Institute. They do use R for other purposes. I will have them to contact you if they have any suggestions/issues etc.
    -Santosh

    ReplyDelete