Saturday, June 8, 2019

ASMS 2019 Recap Part 2 -- Saturday's Power user meeting!


Exactly one week late! Time to recap this awesome meeting. If they do this next year, I highly recommend you check it out. Shannon assembled an amazing workshop. If you've been doing this for years and think you know it all -- this is where you learn something new. It was packed. They definitely have to cut off attendance -- the best part might be how engaged a smaller group could be with questions/answers. There were some smart mofos in the room.

Agenda (mostly accurate, small change --it's on Planet Orbitrap here or you can click to expand):


My highlights:

Calibration and Preventative Maintenance -- 2 real life service engineers, Faith Robison and Kathy walked through user maintenance stuff in detail. Boring? Yes. Okay -- but did you know you should ballast the Sogevac roughing pumps? The Edwards? Sure, everybody knows that. But I didn't know the Sogevacs need ballasted! WHAT? Ummm...I will probably just pretend that I actually have known that and should delete a few sentences here for purposes of my own credibility.  I'll try to remember to link those slides when they're up on Planet Orbitrap. We also learned how to clean the Exactive family side filters and why you should do it. Important stuff in there, for real!

FLEXMIX!  If you're using your instrument for multiple things, chances are you waste a lot of time changing from positive calibration solution to negative, to something to calibrate your extremely low and extremely high mass ranges. Swap syringes, wait forever for bubbles to come out, start too early, spray still isn't stable. Wait some more. Repeat.

It's live for sale here.


It's ONE SOLUTION. No switching. It's got all sorts of stuff in it. It may only be natively supported at this point by Tribrids, but I plan to manually punch in all my calibration points and just use this going forward.

Maybe I'll let you know if that ends up being a really bad idea -- but it seems smart to me.

The awful terrible catastrophe of an operating system that is Windows 10 -- NO I DO NOT WANT TO USE BING -- IS IT USING BING TO SEARCH MY FILE FOLDERS? I COPY/PASTED THE NAME OF THIS DOCUMENT IT CAN'T FIND IT, WHY IS IT GOING TO THE INTERNET TO LOOK FOR MY WORD DOCUMENT?

Windows 10 Compatibility. There is one official version to use with the newest Foundation/Tune packages -- Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016 -- and it sounds like Exactive 2.11 and Fusion 3.1(?) forward are approved (always check your software release notes before installing. I'm often wrong). My advise, ignore Win10 as long as you possibly can, but if you have to upgrade the vendor is thinking ahead.

Dr. Shannon Eliuk and new super powers for Fusion I and Fusion II Lumos -- I can't wait to go through these slides. They have, yet again, rolled out upgrades to the tribrids already out there. I can't even go into 1/10 of the cool stuff. I spent a lot of time slack jawed. My favorites (and I can't remember if each one is 3.1 or the upcoming(?) 3.3(?):
Multiplex with variable window control. BOOM.
Assisted HCD optimization (I think this was IDX/Lumos only, notes don't say)
Normalized AGC target support (for people who have both Exactive and Tribrids in their labs)
Precursor Fit filters -- You can preferentially select ions that match your theoretical isotope model over ones that don't
Intensity thresholds in exclusion/inclusion lists
Quality filters -- only do MS3 if there is plenty of signal for the ion you want to do it on. You don't waste all that time getting to MS5 fragmentation -- only go as far as it makes sense -- on the fly!
Advanced targeted inclusion -- high priority vs low priority list -- I've already designed an experiment around this and can't wait to see if it works!

Dr. Tara Schroeder and ALMANAC -- Thermo is really focusing on lab efficiency. Remote monitoring and diagnostic info acquisition support. If you can get all this rigged up (use the Thermo Cloud Connection thing!) your local FSE can arrive with a set of diagnostic information that technical support has already reviewed so you get up and going faster.
Ooooh...And there is a LogBook functionality....can multiple people walk up to your instruments? Want to be able to go back and see who f-ed it up? There are logs! Finally make the powerpoint you've always needed so you can get rid of Steve! (Name chosen at random.)

Dr. Aaron Robottails (pronounced RobItI, I think) and pushing the tribrid to 8k human protein IDs in one shot with FAIMS. I'd love to get that method, I don't have anything for FAIMS. The highlights were narrow isolation for precursor (0.7Da) and using the ion trap in turbo scan. I'm a little iffy on this last one. My turboscans don't look pretty, but maybe that's because I'm not isolating narrow enough (and, without FAIMS) maybe with 2 ways to eliminate isolation interference turboscan looks great?


INSTRUMENT CONTROL -- What many of us came for!  I'm embarrassed that I was so excited I didn't catch the two great R&D guy's names. Wait. Found a note. Jesse was one speaker.

To keep in mind. There is an XML method editor (this is for taking your Fusion method and either automating it when it's super complex, or building something new inside of it.)

This is different from the iAPI, which is actually performing external thingies like taking data out and putting data in. I'm no programmer -- I brought an awesome with me -- but they've done a great job of making this stuff seem approachable. They have a GitHub here with great details on how you get this stuff and how you get permission to use it and everything.

 I'm going to cut this short. My grass is like 1m tall.
There were more great talks and mostly customers.
Dr. Florian Meier showed MaxQuant.Live (the 2019 version has been downloaded 500 times!)
Dr. Chris Rose (now at Genentech?) demonstrated that all of us normal people can now use TomaHaQ thanks to the power of the TomaHaQ Companion (thanks for the shoutout, Chris!)( also -- Simion Kreimer just provided me with some pre-made methods to make publicly available -- I'll try to get those up soon)

And I missed the smart TMT and small molecule talks for another meeting. I can't wait to see the slides!

Seriously, thanks to the vendor (and especially Shannon) for putting together such a great day. The most sincere compliment I can pay to anything is to be somewhere for that anything at 8AM. And I was there chugging coffee and pretending to be a sentient organism. At least 2 people can verify that.

No comments:

Post a Comment