Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Finally some hands on with Fusion (Lumos) Tune 3.1!



I'm not 100% sure when Fusion 3.1 came out (maybe last fall? I've lost all track of time), but I finally got some hands-on with it yesterday! 

Quick impressions: 

1) EASIEST Fusion upgrade path yet! That installer is great. We only had a problem because, for some reason, two different versions of Xcalibur had been installed previously on the PC. The installer executable would try to uninstall Xcalibur, see two and just kind of freeze. If I was going to do this again, I'd probably go to Windows "Uninstall a Program" wizard and do that part myself, just to save myself a couple of reboots. 

2) FAIMS is super easy to set up in the methods and you don't even have to think about it, many methods already exist that have the proper FAIMS settings! Since I have acquired some sort of damage in my brain in the area where other people can understand ion mobility stuff, this is 100% critical! 



While I'm highlighting stuff -- the ACTIONS pulldown is a little thing, but I think it is a really nice clarification for when you're building a method with multiple experiments in a single method. 

I think starting in Fusion 3.0 you could directly import someone's method from their RAW file. This functionality carried over and is ultrahelpful if you're hanging out in a lab that has both generations of the instrument. 


If you import RAW files from Fusion 1 to Fusion 2 or vice versa, you get a popup with a warning that you may need to change some values manually. 


 As far as I can tell, the only thing we had to adjust was the RF% (the number is lower on the Fusion 2 due to it's improved ability to get ions in without cranking up RF)

3) The new method templates present are great! There is a premade one for single protein characterization/biotherapeutics that I particularly like. Now -- this isn't an issue for these instruments, they are 100% full time dedicated to proteomics, but I lost all the premade small molecule templates that were there in 3.0. I'm going to guess this was something that I did, or they need to be unhidden by some button somewhere, but I couldn't find them.

EDIT (less than 1 hour later) yeah...I'm dumb....right above the templates is the pulldown for "application mode". Shoutout to the incomparable Darryl Hardie and his ability to read! 

No comments:

Post a Comment