Friday, November 9, 2018

Histidine rich glycoprotein looks like a legit accelerated aging marker!





Before you have to endure my rambling -- this is the paper in question!

My first thought -- what a terrible name for a protein! Who named this? Booooring....

My second?  -- is a study with a bead array allowed to call itself a proteomics study?  Sure! Probably will get more proteins than a SWATcH study on the same material....

Third? -- Can I deplete this protein the next time I donate platelets? Histidines stick to nickel or something, right? How hard would it be to add some nickels to the tube where they put my platelet depleted blood back into me? Sounds not hard! Unfortunately, both of my arms are busy during the procedure....I will require assistance....

How'd they do this study? It looks like it starts about with GWAS (Genome Wide Association Study, I think) from multiple cohorts all smartly age- and other stuff- matched. The markers linked to the differently aged cohorts (once other variables were statistically modulated) were then assessed by the above mentioned bead arrays -- leading to a protein that we should try to deplete!

It makes me really want to go back through some of the recent smart proteomics studies on aging from the NIA and others -- and see how these data align....I was going to put links to some of the aging studies I've posted here, but there are A LOT. I might be getting obsessed. Just type "aging" into the search bar above if you'd like to find other sets to look for this evil protein in.

No comments:

Post a Comment