Friday, July 20, 2018

EuPA Practical Proteomics Day 2 (late) Recap!!


EuPA day 2!! PTM day!!! I'll update this post later when the lectures (that will be available) become available!!

Lecture 1: Kris Gevaert (lab link here)

TERMINOME STUDIES!!! Okay -- I know what terminomics is -- and I'm excited that other people do it and I don't have to yet. If you had to do terminomics -- maybe this is enough to give you nightmares. What if you had to do it in plants? What if you had to do proteogenomics and terminomics in plants? Honestly, this might be enough for me to leave the field.

They just published something like this. Everything else has to be easier. Holy cow...mad mad props to this team.

Lecture 2: Glycoproteomics!!!!

More brand new techniques and tools from Dr. Huber. What about advanced statistics in glycan characterization and localization? This paper JUST came out detailing part of this workflow!


What's better than a great new tool in the fastest growing branch of proteomics? Having a great name for it! This tool is called MoFi. And -- just to make sure with 100% certainty that you never forget it. Just once -- picture this legendary actor saying it.



Lecture 3: "Stories on protein biogenesis, acetylation, processing and stabilities". Sound like a great title?  Yeah!  Fingers crossed those slides get made publicly available, cause there is NO way I can do a topic this complex justice

Final talk? Ugh...it was me. Feeling 100% outclassed and not anywhere near accomplished to be sharing a stage with these people.

Lecture 4: BoxCar --> how the method works and why it is important. Give me a couple days, I'm writing something up and I'll have slides available showing how you can probably be doing BoxCar with no special software (if you've got a QE, it looks like we've got it running now, but give us some time to verify. We lost some pump seals on the QEs while I'm at the best meeting ever!!

Today cut a little short because we had the student poster session. I lucked out and got to be head judge. No joke, ya'll, the next generation of young scientists are SCARY. I was like "well...this is smarter than anything I've ever come up with, and -- ummm -- so is this...Mo..Fi..." Almost all of it is work in progress, (set my Google Scholar alerts, for real) but I can point you toward one AWESOME tool that is live now (a lot will come later).

Are you using MSFragger? Wondering what to do with all the data that it kicks out?  What if you could download an awesome Python tool that would statistically rank that noisy output and help you make sense of it?  I mean this in the kindest way possible -- but MSFragger output is kind of imposing -- backing the output up with statistical grouping seems like a GREAT next step!

You fancy smart Python people can check out Julia Bubis's AAStats tool on her bitbucket site here. She's part of the Gorshkov group that recently gave us IdentiPy.

After the poster session we took a tram ride through about 4 million awesome historic buildings in Vienna and then had dinner on the Danube!!!  (Sneaky picture I took of the students and instructors from a distance. It was way nicer than this).






No comments:

Post a Comment