Thursday, August 6, 2015

Challenges still present in getting phosphoproteomics to the clinic


This is a great perspective paper!  It is from Anton Iliuk et. al., and came to my desktop thanks to the hard work of @PastelBio in making sure I always have cool stuff to read while caffeinating.

I do love introducing Proteomics to people who are new to the field.  One of the big reasons is that I'm a little indoctrinated in the inside perspective.  When you talk to someone who has the audacity to want to use our awesome toys as simply a tool to solve a biological problem that they have...well...it makes some of our big papers with their big lists seem kind of silly.  Yes, maybe we can see 14,000 phosphosites.  But what the heck do you do with all of that??

In this paper, this team wants to take our ability to find tons of phosphorylations and translate them to clinical relevance.  I.e. can we use these patterns to discern a disease state and/or the progression of that state before more traditional assays can?  My first thought would be :


But, you know what? We aren't quite there yet.  And this review really stomps down on the reasons why.


No comments:

Post a Comment