Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Imaging MS of the scariest thing I've ever heard of


I am a huge fan of imaging mass spectrometry.  I've never really done it, with the exception of a training course in Bremen but I'll take any opportunity to visit people who are doing it and I'm a big fanboy of the research, so I know some about it.

In a fantastic use of this technology, Brian Flatley et. al., took a look at a cancer biomarker called S100A4 and its distribution through tissue of something terrifying that I had no idea existed until I downloaded this paper.  (P.S. There were no tissues of this type in the huge cancer genomics project I did years of QC analysis on).

Working with histologists who could identify the cell types by microscopic evaluation they could break these tissues into distinct areas and then looked at outliers that changed quantitatively in different slide areas.

It really is just a stunning paper visually with some great work clearly lined up. I hope with work at this level that this disease (and all cancers in general, of course!)  will soon be something that none of us ever hear about again.


No comments:

Post a Comment