Wednesday, October 2, 2013

DMSO proteomics study reproduced perfectly in my hands.


Wow.  It's been a busy month!  We haven't gotten around to posting anything.  I promise there are good reasons for this and I may be doing some backdating.  I've been wrapped up with all these amazing new instruments that are out this year.  I have got some really nice data.

First of all, however, is this DMSO study I talked about in my last (long long ago) entry.  In limited experiments before I was cut off by the U.S. Government shutdown, I found that the results reported in the paper were spot on.  3x increase in TIC intensity, 30% average decrease in fill times and a corresponding increase in peptide IDs.  This seems to carry over whether doing an unlabeled study or a TMT labeled analysis.  At first glance, my baseline seemed a little higher than I'm used to seeing but I do not have the data yet to support that.  Hopefully someone will be able to smuggle my RAW data files out of those poor deserted buildings and I'll get some JPEGS up.

Again, it is still uncertain what, if any, effects 5% DMSO will have on LC pumps, seals and/or MS components, but if you're willing to take that gamble, there is a great deal of sensitivity to be gained.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ben! Very interesting results, I will wanna try this out very soon aswell. Did you ever enquire any official feedback from Thermo whether they'd support users having DMSO in their LCMS systems?
    Cheers
    Sergo Kasvandik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for the post. I have been looking for additional information for a while. May I ask if you tried to change the capillary temperature for your system to adapt the DMSO addition?

    ReplyDelete