Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Top10? Top20? Top30? What experiment do you run on the Fusion?

I know I touched on the Fusion a little, right before I left.  But I just want to touch on one of the coolest features of the instrument, called Dynamic Scan Management (DSM).

If you've been following my blog, you know that I've spent considerable time providing my recommendations for optimizing LC-MS parameters with the appropriate number of MS/MS events.

DSM negates part of this.  Due to the architecture of the Fusion, it can, like the hybrids collect MS/MS scans while the MS1 is running.  Unlike the hybrids, however, the Fusion will automatically perform the maximum number of MS/MS scans that can be during the MS1 fill and acquisition time.  This way you get the highest possible number of MS1 and MS/MS scans for every experiment at your particular resolution.  And, BTW, thanks to HCD ion trap scans, the Fusion can get as many as 20 scans/ second!

I have spent a week working with 2 Orbitrap Fusion models at the San Jose demo labs and I can promise you that this thing is a big step forward from the hybrid systems, definitely in part due to DSM.  On top of that, not having to optimize your MS/MS to your LC and sample complexity really takes some of the guesswork out of setting up each experiment.  I hope to have some data to show later on samples ran on an Orbitrap Velos Pro followed by a run on a Fusion in the next few days.

3 comments:

  1. Looks great. Waiting to see the data !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The comparison between Orbi Velos Pro and Orbi Fusion would be exciting, as we also have a Pro and are thinking about getting a Fusion. Especially if sensitivity is also considerably increased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ben,

    Do you got the results of this comparison?

    -
    Santosh

    ReplyDelete