Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Top Down Proteomics becomes reality -- cool perspective article in Chemical and Engineering News


As the title says, this is just a cool perspective paper that came out yesterday.  The author got input from some of our favorite people in the intact field and outlines what we've done and where we're going.  I think one of the things holding us back on real global top down proteomics has been suitable LC conditions.  Of course the mass spec side of things has been a challenge, but we've been able to resolve large intacts for several years now and ETD for fragmentation isn't a new thing.  With new chemistries coming over, I think we're going to see more of a push in this direction.  Recently, I've been describing my job as "when someone already knows how to do proteomics, but they want to start doing top down, I fly out and help them get going."  Cause I've been doing exactly that quite a bit.  I think this is a good indicator of where the field is starting to head, and this paper sums it up very nicely.

You can find the article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment